For Patients & Public
Nierhaus T, Chang Y, Liu B, Shi X, Yi M, Witt CM, Pach D. Somatosensory Stimulation With XNKQ Acupuncture Modulates Functional Connectivity of Motor Areas. Front Neurosci. 2019 Mar 11;13:147. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2019.00147. PMID: 30914909; PMCID: PMC6421982.
Read Full Article
Khan MNA, Ghafoor U, Yoo HR, Hong KS. Acupuncture enhances brain function in patients with mild cognitive impairment: evidence from a functional-near infrared spectroscopy study. Neural Regen Res. 2022 Aug;17(8):1850-1856. doi: 10.4103/1673-5374.332150. PMID: 35017448; PMCID: PMC8820726.
Read Full Article
Matos LC, Machado JP, Monteiro FJ, Greten HJ. Understanding Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapeutics: An Overview of the Basics and Clinical Applications. Healthcare (Basel). 2021 Mar 1;9(3):257. doi: 10.3390/healthcare9030257. PMID: 33804485; PMCID: PMC8000828.
Read Full Article
Acupuncture Practice in Military Medical Treatment Facilities
Establishes procedures to expand the availability and utilization of acupuncture as a non-pharmacologic therapy for acute and chronic pain as an essential element of the Military Health Service Pain Management Campaign, and guidance for implementing tiered acupuncture training, privileging, and documentation and to support the clinical practice of acupuncture by designated clinical staff throughout the Department of Defense, as a complement to existing pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies. This guidance applies to all military medical treatment facilities and staff supporting the delivery of healthcare to beneficiaries. See Defense Health Agency Procedural Instruction. Acupuncture Practice in Military Medical Treatment Facilities. Found at https://www.health.mil/Reference-Center/DHA-Publications/2020/02/20/DHA-PI-6025-33
A Protocol of a Guideline to Establish the Evidence Ecosystem of Acupuncture
“Acupuncture clinical practice should be based on high-quality evidence, which could help in decision-making. Thus, acupuncture research should provide sufficient data to enable funders, reviewers, and steering committees to appraise the scientific and methodological rigor of the studies, and for the researchers to replicate and implement these studies.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization placed acupuncture on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity and this therapy had been deemed safe and effective. Acupuncture is an important Chinese medicine treatment method suitable for a wide spectrum of diseases. More than 60,000 randomized controlled trials 6,000 systematic reviews, and 1,000 recommendations had been published, while some studies were published in top journals which promoted the use of acupuncture worldwide.”
See Wang Q, Li N, Li J, He Y, Li Y, Zhong D, Liu X, Fan J, Jin R, Kang D, Zhang Y. A Protocol of a Guideline to Establish the Evidence Ecosystem of Acupuncture. Front Med (Lausanne). 2022 Feb 15;8:711197. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2021.711197. PMID: 35252220; PMCID: PMC8896352.
Found at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8896352/
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a member or renew my membership?
Go to the Become a Member page and choose a membership level that is right for you.
What are the benefits of membership?
Membership Benefits Include:
- A professional lobbyist who is working on your behalf in Harrisburg
- Eligibility to join a committee and have a voice in the direction your profession is going in
- Automatic membership in the Acupuncture Society of America (ASA)
- Tuition discount on APA sponsored CEU / PDA seminars and on select adjacent state association sponsored seminars
- Promotion of your Practice on the APA Website
- 5% discount from China Herb Company
- 5% discount from Lhasa OMS, excluding Serin and DCB needles. Members call in their orders and mention APA. s.com
- 5% discount for online orders from Golden Needle. Members email a current screenshot or copy of their membership to and Kelly will adjust their account. When the membership expires, the discount ENDS and members have to send the new membership card with expiration date to Kelly and she will keep their account updated.
- 5% discount from Redwing Books. Email membership certificate or card to orders@redwingbooks.
- Certificate of Membership in APA for display in your practice
- Updates on APA Political Action
- PDA points for your NCCAOM re-certification. When you become actively involved in the board, committee or legislative action with the association we can offer up to 20 PDA points per re-certification cycle.
- Insurance product discount through Bost Workplace Benefits including short-term disability, life insurance, dental and supplemental indemnity plans, and 24/hour medical services. Bost Benefits will work with individual members to customize plans to meet their individual needs. Members can contact Ms. Lianne Sia-Dictor at 877-283-7600, Ext. 223, or at .
Can I make quarterly payments?
Quarterly payments are available for professional members.
How do I become more involved in the association?
Any member in good standing is welcome to run for a place on the Board, be a part of a committee, or even chair a committee.
What are the benefits of being a board member?
- Be a genuine asset to others in your profession
- Have a strong voice in strategic planning for the association
- Planning events for people is fun!
- Network with leaders in your profession
- NCCAOM PDA points are available for service
How do I join the American Society of Acupuncture (ASA)?
If you are a member of the APA, then you are a member of the ASA and entitled to the benefits of both associations.
What are the different options for Sponsorship?
Those who would like to support the APA but do not have a Pennsylvania LAc or LOM or are not interested in becoming full members are encouraged to join as a Friend of Acupuncture or a Patron of Acupuncture.
What are the options for Classified Ads and Marketing?
We offer a Classified Ads section for folks looking to post their used practice and office supplies. We also offer a Job Board for advertising office rentals and available positions at existing practices and offices.
You can submit a draft to their board and an administrator will approve it for publication.
Members are able to submit their postings for free. For non-members there will be a fee of 50$ for posting to the Jobs Board.